The easiest way to do that is to immobilize your wheels. If they are stuck to your bike and can’t rotate, the bike thief will most likely just leave before anyone notices them. Take your lock and run it through your frame and through both tires if you can.
How do you secure a bike without locking it?
How to Secure a Bike Without a Lock
- Don’t let yours be their first choice. Let your bike get lost in the crowd. Park next to a nicer bike.
- Improvise a lock. Zip ties. Vines and twigs. Bungee cord. Helmet strap.
- Dismantle your bike. Remove a wheel. Loosen a wheel. Dislodge the chain. Take your seat post.
Where can I lock my bike if no bike rack?
You should lock your bike to something that it hard to move and tall.
- light poles.
- street signs.
- benches that are bolted to the ground.
Can I lock my bike anywhere?
You need to know how to lock your bike properly too. And you need to lock your bike properly everywhere: in the street, at home and at work or college. In the street, locking your bike to a strong, immovable object in a busy area with lots of other bikes and CCTV cameras is a great start.
How do I secure my bike outside?
Leaving your bike outside is a last resort as it invites rust and theft. Fit a wall or floor anchor, so you can secure your bike with big chain or D-lock. An eye-bolt type expander bolt will work okay, so long as the eye is big enough to fit your lock; take that to the hardware store with you.
What bike locks are the best?
Best Bike Lock of 2021: Strong and Practical
- Abus Granit X-Plus 540. The best all-round bike lock, of any type, available today is probably the Abus Granit X Plus 540. …
- Kryptonite Kryptolok New-U. …
- Kryptonite Kryptolok 955 Mini. …
- Hiplok Gold Chain. …
- Foldylock Compact. …
- Abus Bordo Granit 6500.
How do I protect my bike from theft?
8 tips to prevent bicycle theft
- Double up your security by using two high-quality locks. …
- Use your locks to keep your wheels from being stolen, too. …
- Swap quick-release seat and wheel skewers for ones that require keys. …
- Make your bike unique. …
- Try out a smart lock. …
- Always bring your bike inside at night.
Can I lock my bike to a bench?
Lock your frame to something that cannot be cut or moved such as street signs, bust stop signs, large trees, scaffolding, parking meters, and sturdy benches that are properly secured to the ground. If there’s nothing to secure your bike to, use a bike lock to immobilize the wheels.
Can you lock your bike to your car?
The Trunk Lock / Passive Strap Method
Probably one of the most affordable ways of locking or securing your bike in the car. It is using a strap in the form of a long cable with a rounded puck at the end of it. The way to doing this is to form a loop that will be put to secure and fastened the frame of the bike.
How do I immobilize my bike?
Lock your bike to something tall and/or incredibly hard to move, like a tree, road sign, light pole, or a fence. If there is absolutely nothing around to lock it to, keep your bike safe by at least immobilizing your wheels. If you don’t have a lock at all, make your bike as difficult to roll away as possible.
Why do people steal bikes?
Joyriders: Joyriders steal bikes for the sole purpose of riding the stolen bike for entertainment and will generally abandon the bike after using it. … Acquisitive: These thieves steal bicycles for financial gain and usually trade them for cash or goods. The bikes may also be sold in pieces for drugs or money.